Here is a trustworthy saying:
If we died with Him, we will also live with Him;
if we endure, we will also reign with Him.
If we disown Him, He will also disown us;
if we are faithless, He will remain faithful,
for He cannot disown Himself.
I have never really given much thought to these verses, until I read them while focusing on what they say about God's faithfulness. We can willfully disown, or deny, God and He will do likewise. However, if we fall short of being faithful to all that God requires of us He does not, no, He CANNOT, do likewise. These verses confirm that, for God to be God, He must be faithful to His promises.
Today, I'd like to briefly consider this truth --that God cannot be anything other than faithful to His promises-- as it relates to both salvation and sanctification. 1 John 1:9, tells us that if we confess our sins, He is faithful to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. By accepting this truth, we are staking our very lives, for all eternity, on God being faithful to His promise of salvation for those who place their trust in Him.
Whereas salvation is a one-time transaction, sanctification is the ongoing process of being imparted with the qualities of Christ (see additional discussion here). Our reliance on God's faithfulness for our sanctification is as signficant as it is for our salvation. In the midst of life, it is sometimes difficult to see whether any progress is being made in becoming more like Christ. Like having one's nose too close to an artist's canvas, we can only see the individual brush strokes of circumstances being applied in seemingly random patterns. It is ultimately God's quality of faithfulness that we are relying on when we count on the promise of Philippians 1:6: "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus."
Thank you, Lord, for being absolutely faithful to your promises and for working all things together for your ultimate glory.
3 comments:
What wonderful Promises! I think I probably thank the Lord and praise Him most often for His attributes of Faithfulness and Love because of the comfort of the certainty of His faithfulness no matter what.
He truly is the God of Hope!
I am so thankful that both my salvation and my sanctification are dependent upon such a faithful God!
As I consider my day, and ways I may have been faithless, or let others down, I am refreshed in being reminded of His faithfulness. It is encouraging to reflect on His perseverance in working all things out for my good and His glory. Thanks, ladies for your helpful insights into God's amazing character!
Post a Comment