I have thought a lot this week about truth.
I have noticed a lot of things that are offered as truth but are obviously not (tv, ads, "buy one get one free," guarantees, "this is going to help the economy", "invest with us and have such and such return"...) and ones that are more subtle (statements we say to each other -- "It's going to be ok," or "I know what you are saying," or even "You look great"--particularly when said on one of those days when we really should go back and start over...) Sometimes we promise things, and mean them, but then we fail to follow through ( "I'll do it today", "I'll pray for you", or "I'll call you later.")
I have tried to think of people who are always truthful. I can think of many who try hard to tell the truth, but we all fall short.
Only God understands Truth. Only He is able to speak Truth. Only He can BE Truth.
John 8:31 & 32-- "If you abide in my word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free...v. 36-- "If therefore the Son shall make you free, you shall be free indeed."
He is our Ultimate Truth. In Him we are able rely and rest. What He says He will do, He will do. Who He says He is, He is,-- forever. His promises will not be revoked. When He calls us His children, He is making a forever promise. His plan will not be thwarted. He has total power to follow through to the end.
Heb. 6:16 - 18 -- "For men swear by one greater than themselves, and with them an oath given as confirmation is an end of every dispute. In the same way God, desiring even more to show to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of His purpose, interposed with an oath, in order that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we may have strong encouragement, we who have fled for refuge in laying hold of the hope set before us."
We have a measure that is accurate. Everything the world throws at us we can measure against the Word of God, His character and we can be comforted and strengthened because He is Truth.
2 comments:
This gives us such HOPE! We can count on Him, all that He says and has promised because HIS WORD IS TRUTH and as you pointed out, His promise is His purpose.
"Now may the God of Hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit..." I ask in Jesus' Name.
Romans 15:13
Good points. Everyone likes to lay claim to the "truth" (like you pointed out); some of it even sounds pretty compelling. But, without an absolute Truth to measure against, we are left to be driven and tossed by the latest cultural consensus. Thanks, but no thanks!
Post a Comment