God is Immutable - Day 1

Immutable is not a word used much in today's vernacular. Yet, the concept of someone who is incapable of change is immensely appealing and desirable.

Through the process of parenting my kids, I've grown to appreciate this characteristic of our heavenly Father. So often, my kids try to influence and persuade me to do this thing or give them that thing. Many times when I deny them what they desire, it is because I know more than they do about the situation. I know that the thing they desire will not be good for them, or I know that something better is just around the corner. Yet, when I deny them what they want, their emotions kick in and they only recognize that their desires have been thwarted. If I continually conceded to their requests, without regard to their best interest, I would not be a good parent.

Many times, I have begged God to work in specific ways in my life or in the lives of those I love. When He has not, I have frequently responded with tears of frustration. However, as my emotions settle and time passes, He almost always allows me to see the reason that things worked the way they did.

The words to the familiar hymn come to mind and remind me that His immutable-ness and His faithfulness go hand-in-hand:

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father!
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not:
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like your pairing of immutable with faithful. That is one I am going to have to think through. thanks