Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life." I am the truth. He is not false, or imaginary, but truly real. He is the only true God. When we speak of God's truthfulness, we must recognize that there are three dimensions to his truthfulness. First, God is truth, as we see in John 14:6 above. He is real. He is genuine.
Second, He speaks only truth; God's Word is true. It is truth. Sanctify them by the truth; your Word is truth. Truth, as defined in the Layman's Bible Dictionary, is "that which is reliable and consistent with God's revelation. It is established by God's law, and personified by Jesus Christ. (John 14: 6)
Your righteousness is everlasting and your law is true.
Trouble and distress have come upon me, but your commands are my delight.
Your statutes are forever right; give me understanding that I may live.
(Psalm 119: 142-144)
As I have been studying the characteristics of God, I am impressed by how intertwined and circular they are. It is sometimes difficult to distinguish between them, and this third dimension is an example of that. The third dimension of God's truthfulness is His faithfulness; His faithfulness proves his truthfulness. God is faithful to us; He is faithful to keep his promises; He is faithful to forgive our sins. It proves His Word. It proves His truthfulness. I am so thankful for your faithfulness and truthfulness. All praises be to You!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It is interesting that the Character Qualities of God are so merged together. You are right that it has been hard to think of these characteristics independent of the other--they are so integrated in His character that they work like a facet of the whole.
Post a Comment