I was scratching my head trying to figure out what to write about a subject that I was not so sure that I really got. I decided to sort of look around John MacArthur’s website to see what this wise man had to say about it and I found the following: “God is eternal. It’s an impossible doctrine. I cannot fathom a being that has always existed. This is not possible to be conceived… Nor can I understand that I will exist forever…if I think about it very long, I get nauseated. I really do. I can’t cope with it because everything I’ve ever known in my whole world has a start and an end.” I at least felt a little better about my inability to wrap my finite mind around the idea of a being that is eternal.
With that said, I’ve been taught that I am to look at this earthly journey that I am on with an eternal perspective. Until recently, I have thought of that in terms of, “I don’t have to fit everything that I want to do into this life because I will have all of eternity to do it.” Although that it is true, I was listening to a sermon by John Piper and he gave me a much deeper understanding of what an eternal perspective is. He was expounding on Romans 9:23 – 24. He said that if I was a Christian, the ultimate purpose of God for my existence was to know the glory of God, to taste and see the glory of God, to treasure the glory of God, and to enjoy the glory of God. He said that I did not make myself fit to know God’s glory. He did. Here’s what I found to be exciting though; I will spend eternity increasing my understanding of the riches of that glory. That understanding will increase forever and ever, my treasuring it will increase forever and ever; therefore, my joy will increase forever and ever. That, of course can and does begin now, so, Oh Lord, incline my heart to your Word and the riches of your glory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amen! We truly cannot know Him apart from His Word.
Good points! The last few sentences you wrote also provide a sort of "litmus test" for how I'm doing, spiritually. Does the idea of an eternity of ever increasing knowledge of God truly sound enthralling or not? If it doesn't immediately strike me as the grandest thing ever, then I'm probably a bit too caught up in earthly pursuits...
Post a Comment