July 23- Sanctification

"Sanctification means the impartation of the qualities of Jesus Christ. It is His patience, His love, His holiness, His faith, His purity, His godliness..." When I walk in the reality of Christ as my example and my standard, the propensity for pride (which we discussed Monday) vanishes. As the fuller text of today's Scripture says "But by His doing, you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, so that just as it is written, 'Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord.'" (1 Cor 1:30-31).

My question for today relates to the definition of sanctification. I've always heard (and it is generally taught) that "sanctification" is "becoming more like Christ". Here, O.C. says sanctification is "Christ in you" -- NOT "imitating Jesus". He also says "sanctification is an impartation, not an imitation.". Is this difference significant? If so, how so?

3 comments:

Terry Munz said...

I see the difference between imitation and impartation as: with imitation, I am pulling myself up by my own bootstraps and in my own strength attempting to imitate Christ; whereas, with impartation, I am, as O.C. says, “letting the perfections of Jesus manifest themselves in my mortal flesh.” What is so beautiful about this idea is that any manifestation of Christ in and through any sanctified soul (“His patience, His love, His holiness, His faith, His purity, His godliness”) is a “sovereign gift of God’s grace” and therefore, HE gets the glory. In imitation, man gets the glory. In impartation, Jesus, and His finished work on the cross gets the glory. Oh, that I would draw from this inexhaustible source of grace!!!!

Melissa Batusic said...

I agree. I see imitation as being me-centered. It begins with me and what I do. Impartation is God-centered. "The qualities of Jesus Christ are imparted as a GIFT to me."

Anonymous said...

Now I know why I have never liked the translation that we are to be "imitators of Christ!" I agree wholeheartedly that sanctification is the work of Christ in us as HE LIVES and MOVES in us. He gets and He deserves all the glory for any fruit of the Spirit and of Christ in our lives. May we ever yield more and more to Him as we realize how little of us is needed!