July 3 - The Concentration of Personal Sin

Identification of specific sin is different that suffering from a guilt complex, which many people do. For me, growing in my faith has meant getting out from under a general sense of guilt and allowing the Holy Spirit to be the one to point out specific sin so that I can confess it and move on. Psalm 26:2&3 says "Examine me, O Lord, and try me, Test my mind and my heart. For your loving kindness is before my eyes and I have walked in your truth." God convicts with love. Sue Sweeney (perhaps half jokingly) says that God doesn't uses your full name when pointing out sin (like an angry parent might). He is gentle, but relentless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that there is all the difference in the world in guilt and the identification/conviction of sin by the Holy Spirit. Guilt accomplishes very little because it is too general and is such an energy waster! When the Holy Spirit convicts and I confess the sin and turn away from it, the release is complete and I am restored in my relationship with the Lord. Ps. 66:18- "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me." sums up the difference well.