Have you ever tried to fit through a narrow gate or drive down a very narrow road? It's hard! I know that if I am driving down a narrow road I am careful and focused. I have both hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road, carefully using all of the techniques I have learned in driving school. I am aware and prepared to drive defensively. Adversely, if I am cruising down a wide open road, I am much more relaxed. I may focus on something off of the road, have one hand on the wheel, and maybe even drive faster than I am supposed to!
O.C.'s point in today's devotion is that the Christian life is a narrow road. It requires focus and discipline. He points out that, "salvation is something that requires bravery, courage, and holiness." We are to "put into practice" what God has placed within us by His Spirit. By focusing on the Lord, being obedient to His word, loving Him above all else, and trying "to live a life of worth and excellence", we can follow the narrow road.
Matthew 7:14: "But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
3 comments:
That was a great analogy! Why we think "work out your salvation with fear and trembling," should be easy amazes me. I don't know of any type "work out" or practice that is easy. Unless we "deny self, take up our cross daily and follow" Jesus, our relationship with Him and subsequently our witness, will be stunted and incomplete.
That was a good analogy! Somehow we get the idea the the Christian life should be easy, but that is not Biblical. Did you guys hear John's sermon on 6/15? It ties in PERFECTLY to today's (7/7) reading. Here's the link...
Post a Comment