"I must know Jesus Christ as Savious before His teaching has any meaning for me other than that of an ideal which leads to despair."
As this reading suggests, we must know Christ as Saviour first, then as teacher. Otherwise we risk becoming either phariseeical or despondent in our attempts to live up to the standards set forth by Christ. This is especially true with respect to those standards reflected in Matthew 5.
I am curious, with all of our prior discussion of "discipline" and applying one's "will", is it sometimes a struggle to recognize how impoverished we truly are? In other words, if you are doing what you should (e.g., being obedient, exercising your will to obey, attempting to live a disciplined, godly life), how do ensure that you don't start down that path of pride and works orientation?
For me, periodically remembering what I was saved from (i.e., self-rule and all of its ugly manifestations) is key in reminding me of my natural position (impoverished) and of His grace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
For me even though saved, sins are still present that are my favorites. The temptation is great and my resistance is weak. These sins are the ones that remind me how bankrupt my soul really is without Christ.
Being in the Word makes all the difference in my attitude and motives. The Truth is always constant....that apart from Him I can do nothing.
Post a Comment