"...(T)he Beatitudes seem merely mild and beautiful precepts for all unworldly and useless people, but of very little practical use in the stern workaday world in which we live. We soon find, however that the Beatitudes contain the dynamite of the Holy Ghost."
Isn't this so true? Growing up as a Christian, I would get to Matthew 5 and just skim the Sermon on the Mount, feeling like it was great stuff, but totally impractical/impossible to actually live it in today's world (unless you found yourself in a monestary). One day, I was challenged on this point by someone who asserted that Christ actually does want us to live out these commands in exactly the circumstances we find ourselves. What a paradigm shift. It is true that it comes "with astonishing discomfort to begin with", but when we get a glimpse of how the Spirit can work if we let him, it is exciting!
Of course, I would like to hear examples of situations in which the concept of today's reading played out and what the results were. (Thanks, Terry for your good example a couple of weeks ago!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think your insight is correct... it makes all the difference when we yield to Christ and His Holy Spirit working out The Truth - His Word in our hearts. Otherwise the Beatitudes are mere platitudes.
Verse 3 is where He began with me, showing me how destitute I am spiritually, yet providing reconciliation through His death, and the hope of eternal life with Him through His resurrection. The Beatitudes build, one upon another from salvation and repentance for our sins, to living as His disciple, meekly, hungering and seeking after Him alone.
"The teachings of Jesus are all out of proportion when compared to our natural way of looking at things..." And I would add that our natural/sinful way of looking at things is the way of the world.
A few years ago, the theme of one of our youth retreats was "Seeing Things Upside Down". The whole message during our time away was that following Jesus means you have to have to see things "Upside Down" when compared to the world. Everything Jesus said on earth and all that He is about goes TOTALLY against what the world thinks!
The Sermon on the Mount is just one example of this. Poor in Spirit? Peacemakers? Meek? The world does not see these attributes as great...oh but Jesus does! I can only BEG Him to help me surrender and abide in Him!
Post a Comment