June 17 - Beware of Criticizing Others

"Jesus' instructions with regard to judging others is very simply put; He says, 'Don't'." This is a COMMAND from Jesus. Not a suggestion, if you feel like it, if you want to, depending on what mood you are in. I find that when I am critical of someone, it is always to, "leave me with the soothing and flattering idea that I am somehow superior to others". I must constantly beware of my sinful nature and tendency to think of myself as a superior person.

Jesus says, "'Do not judge, or you too will be judged...and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?'" (Matthew 7: 1-3)

Last year at our CMPC women's retreat we were blessed to have a wonderful speaker. One of the many topics that she spoke about was this very thing...judging/comparing. She brought with her many visual aids, one being a tool belt. In it were many different "measuring tools". She spoke about how we walk around from day to day measuring every aspect of our lives and comparing them to other peoples. Our husbands, our children, our cars, our homes, our spiritual walks, our friendships, etc. etc. etc.

We are not responsible for the actions and attitudes of others but we are responsible for our own. O.C. says, "The Holy Spirit is the only one in the proper position to criticize." I pray that the Holy Spirit continues to show me the "planks" in my own eyes. Also, that I will be satisfied with who I am in Him so that I have no need to judge others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being critical comes so naturally that it can creep in before I realize what I am doing! At the point that I realize that what I am thinking or saying doesn't edify, I have to rebuke that thought or those words, confess and repent because like O.C., I have seen what I am apart from God's grace. I liked your point Melissa, about being satisfied in Him. With our focus on Him, we are not going to be so quick to be critical or unloving. Apart from Him we can no NOTHING.