Today's reading is a continuation of yesterday's theme along the lines that Terry spoke of. The sentence that stuck out to me today was "Are you thirsty, or smugly indifferent - so satisfied with your experience that you want nothing more of God? Experience is a gateway, not an end." I think I sometimes get to a point of being comfortable with the way things are going, elevating the experience of God, or even the blessings of God, rather than God Himself and His ultimate purposes.
I like the way the progression of seeing one's own heart is described in the last paragraph (even though the actually process of having my heart revealed to me is not very pleasant).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Do I seek God with my whole heart? I find that, more often than not, I "simply give Him a feeble cry after some emotionally painful experience" or, out of a desire for self-fulfillment. It is about having total reliance on Him (narrowing my focus and interest on one thing...HIM). He is all I need.
“‘Seek, and ye shall find.’ Get to work, narrow your interests to this one. Have you ever sought God with your whole heart...” This is why I value the teaching of John Piper as much as I do. His teaching focuses on making God our treasure, our supreme value. He even teaches that true salvation requires this. May I quote him?
“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up; then from his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.” Mt. 13:44
This parable describes how a person is converted and brought into the kingdom of heaven. He discovers a treasure and is impelled by joy to sell all he has in order to have this treasure. You are converted to Christ when Christ becomes for you a treasure chest of holy joy. The new birth of this holy affection is the common root of all the conditions of salvation. We are born again—converted—when Christ becomes a treasure in whom we find so much delight that trusting him, obeying him, and turning from all that belittles him becomes our normal habit.
Post a Comment