Psalm 4

In the introduction to a 2008 sermon series entitled “Psalms: Thinking and Feeling with God”, John Piper said, “…the Psalms are meant to be instructive about God and man and life. When we read the Psalms, we are meant to learn things about God and about human nature and about how life is to be lived.” Later in the sermon he stated his goal in preaching this series for the people of his church: “The aim is God-centered, Christ exalting, Psalms-saturated thinking and feeling in our church. I believe this kind of thinking and feeling will bear fruit in the kind of living that cares for people and magnifies Christ.” I share this because, when I read this goal, I made it my goal for this journey through the book of Psalms – by God’s grace I want to have a more God-centered, Christ exalting, Psalms-saturated way of thinking that produces in me a life that cares for people and magnifies Christ.

So, how does Psalm 4 help me toward this goal? In the psalm, David moves from distress to quiet confidence in God. David is being treated unjustly by his enemies and he appeals to God, in accordance with His mercy (vs. 1), for relief. After his cry for help, he makes an appeal to those who are wronging him (vs. 2-5). He points out that God has set him apart and will hear him when he calls. He warns them against their sin and appeals to them to trust God. Oh, that my response to those who wrong me could look like this! Finally, after David had laid before God his grief over the false accusations of his enemies and made an appeal to these same enemies, God provides what David is in need of. In verse 6, David is assured of God’s favor, in verse 7, he is filled with God’s joy, and in verse 8, he is resting in God’s peace.

Father, may the words of this psalm penetrate my heart such that, when I am sinned against, I might remember David’s response and follow its example.

No comments: