Psalm 12

I came to know the Lord when I was in my 20s. I was not raised in a Christian home and had very little exposure to the Bible as I was growing up. I start by telling you this for several reasons. Mainly to lower your expectations! :) But also to let you know that I may come at this blog in a totally different way than you may be used to. So, I can only pray that somehow the Lord will use my scattered thoughts for His glory. So, here goes!

One of the tools that I was taught when studying my Bible is to personalize the passage that I’m studying. One way that is very natural for me, especially in studying Psalms, is to think to myself...
“How might I have said this, what words might I have used when bringing forth this type of request/concern/prayer to the Lord; or, when have I felt like this?” Here are some of my thoughts as I was studying this particular Psalm…

1 Help, LORD, for the godly are no more; the faithful have vanished from among men.
2 Everyone lies to his neighbor; their flattering lips speak with deception.


I can really identify with how this Psalm starts out…it’s a cry for help. I do that a lot. A simple, heartfelt, heart broken request…“Help me, Lord!” But from there David goes on to tell the Lord just exactly how he’s feeling! It seems to me that he’s just laying it all out there! This is so encouraging to me…I serve a God who is interested in what troubles me. When I feel like I’m just complaining, I am comforted by knowing that He wants to hear from me…and He doesn’t care if my words are all frilly (and that’s good, ‘cuz mine never are!) He already knows what’s on my heart, but He wants me to bring it to Him. So, as I considered times where I’ve felt like this…these are things that I have asked of God…
“Help, Lord! Why are people the way they are? Why do they say one thing to your face and something else behind your back? Why do they lie? Why do they step on others just to try to get ahead? Why did she act that way? Why did he hurt me??? Why, Lord???”


3 May the LORD cut off all flattering lips and every boastful tongue
4 that says, "We will triumph with our tongues; we own our lips — who is our master?"


Wow, now that’s bold! Okay, so I’m guessing (could be totally wrong here) that David is not actually asking God to cut peoples lips off…but to put a stop to the deception…the flattery…the pride. In response to a situation I’ve been faced with, I have prayed, “Lord, please do something, anything, no matter how painful it may be…because this course of action needs to be stopped.”


5 "Because of the oppression of the weak and the groaning of the needy, I will now arise," says the LORD. "I will protect them from those who malign them."
6 And the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times.


Now this, being a response from the Lord, cannot be reworded by me. These are God’s words….but I can let them soaked in. This is when I must stop my complaining and just be still and listen. The Lord comforts me and promises that He will protect me. He tells me that He hears me, and reassures me that, though I cannot always trust the words of man because of man’s sinful and self-centeredness, I can ALWAYS trust God and trust HIS words. God will always keep His promises…He always has my best interests in mind…He is always looking out for me.


7 O LORD, you will keep us safe and protect us from such people forever.
8 The wicked freely strut about when what is vile is honored among men.

Thank you, Lord, that even when it looks like the wicked are winning, I know better…you are protecting us. Thank you, Lord…for the reminder that You are in control…not men.

What did I ever do to deserve such a God?? Nothing! Thank you, Lord for loving an unlovable me…sending your Son to pay for my sins, and thank you for keeping me safe until we meet face-to-face! Amen.

2 comments:

Melissa Batusic said...

Just so you know, Angie, I feel totally ill-equipped to be an author for the blog also! Especially considering the wise other authors that contribute. But, I REALLY appreciate you stepping out of your comfort zone and being willing to do this. God will use your thoughts and words, as He has already. Thank you for your devotion this morning! It was very refreshing. You are great!

Anonymous said...

What a FATHER! ONE we can always count on, and accept His Words as flawless!

Thank you, Angie.