Four times in this psalm David declares God to be his Rock (twice in verse one and in verses 31 and 46). The older I get and the more God reveals Himself and His ways to me, the more I love Him. When I was a teenager, to say that life was confusing is an understatement. There was very little in my life that felt stable at the time. I can remember thinking that there had to be something out there that was rock-solid, something that I could grab on to, something that was true and unshakable. I was right to think that there was, but, it was close to 20 years later that God opened my eyes to see that He and His Word were what I was in search of. I can remember not long after coming to Christ, God bringing to mind that time in my life and pointing out to me that it was Him that was that something solid, true, and unshakable. He was my Rock. And, as I read this psalm, I was reminded of it once again. I also thought, how like God to put those thoughts into a teenager just so He could bring them to mind so many years later in order to strengthen my fledgling faith in Him. This early realization that God was my Rock has helped me to, like David, have the confidence to go to Him in time of need. Like David, I can testify as he did in verses 6, 28, and 29, “In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears….You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light. With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall.” He started by giving me that mustard seed of confidence in Him and has built on it over the years that He has been growing my faith. “The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior!” (vs. 46)
Heavenly Father, thank you that you are a Rock to all who trust in you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is such a rich Psalm and I agree with you - the fact that the Lord is our Rock of Salvation is foundational to our faith.
Post a Comment