As I read this psalm, I noticed that in verse 3 David declares God to be his rock and his fortress. Yet, in the preceding verse he asks God to be his rock of refuge. As I thought about it, it occurred to me that this is an example of how I can, and often do, pray for myself and for others. For example, as I pray for my friend who was just diagnosed with breast cancer I can say, “Lord, you are the God of peace; give her peace as she walks through this. You are the God of all wisdom; give the doctors wisdom as they treat this disease.” Or, for my friend who is exhausted as she cares for ailing parents and home schools her two teenage girls I can pray, “Lord, you are the God of strength; give my friend the strength that she needs to bear up under this heavy load.” Or, for myself, as I begin to disciple a young girl who has turned from a life of drug abuse to a new life in Christ I can ask, “Lord, you are all powerful. Show yourself to be powerful in my weakness.” Because the Bible tells us that God is many things, by faith we can ask him to prove to be those things in our personal experience.
Lord, show yourself to be who you say that you are in our lives, for your glory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Amen!
Post a Comment