The Wicked/foolish man:
is a grief to his mother, will not profit from ill-gotten gains, the Lord will thrust aside the craving of the wicked, works with a negligent hand, shamefully sleeps in harvest, mouth conceals violence, name of the wicked will rot, is babbling fool that will be thrown down, perverted ways will be found out, his hatred stirs up strife, a rod is for his back, ruin is at hand, punishment is the income of the wicked, led astray by not listening to reproof, a fool that spreads slander, conceals hatred, talks a lot, a worthless heart, dies because of not understanding, doing wicked things is fun, their fear will happen, afterwards the wicked is no more, lazy one is like (thought this was unusual) "vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes", years of life shortened, no hope, the way of the Lord is ruin to the workers of iniquity, will not dwell in the land, their perverted tongue will be cut out, mouth brings forth perversion.
It does not look good for the wicked/foolish man. Let's contrast that with the righteous/wise man:
makes a father glad, delivers from death, the Lord doesn't let the righteous go hungry, hand of the diligent makes rich, wise son gathers in summer, blessings are on the head of the righteous, memory of the righteous is blessed, wise of heart will receive commands, he who walks in integrity walks securely, mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, love covers all transgressions, wisdom is found on the lips of the discerning, wise men store up knowledge, the righteous' wage is life, heeds instruction, restrains his lips, his tongue is choice silver, his lips feed many, the blessing of the Lord makes him rich without sorrow, a man of understanding's sport is wisdom, the desire of the righteous will be granted, righteous has an everlasting foundation, the fear of the Lord prolongs life, gladness is the hope of the righteous, righteous will never be shaken, mouth of the righteous flows with wisdom, lips of righteous bring forth what is acceptable.
Wow. It makes me think.
Do I grieve my mother?
Is my father glad when he thinks of me? Is my Father glad when he thinks of me?
Am I diligent in gathering what God has brought to me?--Do I tend my family well? Do I try and apply everything I am being taught? Am I negligent with what He has entrusted me?
Will I be remembered as a blessing?
Am I available for commands, teaching, reproof?
Do I cultivate integrity? Is my private the same as my public?
Am I a babbling fool? Do I go on and on with no purpose but just to hear my voice?
Could my mouth be viewed as a 'fountain of life'?
Is wisdom found on my lips?
Do I store up knowledge? Is scripture memory a part of my day?
Does my work lead to life?
Do I listen to instruction? Do I try to apply it?
Do I talk less? Do I control my tongue or does it control me?
Do my words feed the souls of those who hear them?
Do I really believe that it is God's blessing that gives riches?
Is wisdom my sport?
What would it be like for my number one desire to be given?
When I am in the whirlwind, do I remember my everlasting foundation?
If my life is lengthened by fearing the Lord, how many more days will I have added?
Am I glad?
How is the way of the Lord evidenced in my life?
Do I get shaken and worried by current world events?
Does my mouth flow with wisdom--do things acceptable to God come out?
Father God, help us to seek you, be open to your teaching, reproof, and guidance. Stir in us a desire to store up your wisdom, so that increasingly more of what we speak is of You. Remind us of your promises to equip, your presence with us, your forgiveness of our sin, and your undeserving love for us.
3 comments:
What a great way to look at this chapter! This is so stirring and I agree with you wholeheartedly in your prayer in Jesus' Name.
Thank you Cindy! And Thank You, Lord!
Wow! What great application. This is the way to look at every passage I read in the Bible.
Thank you for a new perspective on this altogether. It has captured my attention late, late this night, and will focus on it in the weeks to come.
Appreciate CMPC'S blog.
Post a Comment