The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord. Proverbs 21:31
I love the Old Testament and its stories of God’s dealings with Israel. One of my favorite books is Deuteronomy, especially the parts where Moses reminds Israel of God’s faithfulness to them and their forefathers. Moses explains to the people of Israel that God is making a name for Himself by setting His favor upon them, His chosen nation. He tells them in chapter 7 that they were not chosen as His treasured possession because of who they were but because of who He is. In chapter 9, Moses tells them that they are about to conquer the land that God promised to their forefathers, not because of their righteousness, but because of His purposes. Israel didn’t get it, but Moses was trying to impress upon the nation that they could trust God to do what He said He would do. That, especially when things looked most impossible, He would be big enough to deliver them from anything they would face. They need only trust God for the victory. God wanted Israel to see that He would “save them – not by bow, sword or battle, or by horses and horsemen, but by the Lord their God.” (Hosea 1:7)
What about us? God is still about making a name for Himself by setting apart a people who will make much of Him by trusting Him to do what He says He will do. Spurgeon said, “If I have much faith, so that I can take God at His Word…I shall greatly honor my Lord and King.” This is what honors God. Yes, as today's verse says, we make ready our horses.....we plan, we prepare, we ready ourselves, but, our trust is not in these things but, in God. What seemingly impossible situation in your life or mine do we need to trust God and take Him at His Word for? Is it submission to our husband? An unsaved or rebellious child? A broken relationship? An ailing parent? We greatly honor our Lord and King when we trust Him for the victory.
Lord, thank you that you are trustworthy and in every situation you bring into our lives, help us to remember what you said to Zerubbabel: "Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord Almighty." (Zech. 4:6)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your devotional is timely for me as a reminder that when God does answer prayer, I need to remember that 1) He should get all the glory -- not me, even if I worked hard to get my "horse ready for battle" 2) He will provide the means to accomplish His will when I trust Him.
Good and needed thoughts to wake up to this morning!!
What an encouraging Word! I greatly needed reminding of this Truth.
Thank you!
Post a Comment