When I was a child, my parents tried to do family devotions with us 4 kids... With each attempt, Dad would begin with Proverbs...so the beginning chapters of Proverbs were covered over and over again. As a result, I really think that is the key to understanding Proverbs--reading and rereading and letting the words go deep.
So, to begin today, stop reading this blog. Read chapter 3 now if you haven't already.
- How can I have a long life...v.1-2
- How can I be liked by people and God? v.3-4
- Considering all the barrage of advise and counsel, who should I listen to? v.5-8
- With all the bills I need to pay, what should I do with my money first? v.9&10
- Why is God allowing this to happen to me? Doesn't He Care? v.11&12
The second part of this chapter focuses on Wisdom (no surprise there). Verses 13-18 describe Wisdom and those who seek her: blessed are those who seek her (v.13), value of Wisdom (v.14-15), benefits of Wisdom (16-18).
I always was intrigued by the writer making wisdom be "Wisdom"--transforming wisdom into a Person (capitalized) and a woman at that. In that day, with the status of women being lower than men, this seems to be a RADICAL thing to do. How upsetting to the male leaders this must have been...(I wonder if there was a conversation about having Wisdom changed to the male gender...) What do you think?
Anyway, continuing on... Beginning in v.21 the writer talks about how to handle adversity and where to have your trust v. 25 & 26. The remaining verses talk about dealing with neighbors, violent men, devious men and scorners.
Read this chapter again. Post your thoughts. :)
I hope these verses resonate with you today.
3 comments:
I think that this verses 9 & 10 are very timely for us as a family at CMPC. We are closing out our Missions Conference Faith Promise giving, and verses 9 & 10 remind us that we must honor the Lord with our wealth . . . are we doing that? He has promised to fill our barns when we do, so we can trust Him to provide for us when we give sacrificially to Mission. Are we honoring Him with our wealth? We each must go before Him and give as He directs us. Often it seems to be more than our budget will handle, but He is the great provider -- Jehovah-Jireh! We can count on that! CR
Just for fun, check out this link to get motivated about verses 9&10. $$
Good comments! Yes I think it interesting the timing of these verses with all of the messages during the mission conference, and the movies on Sunday nights--and Chris--that video is a hoot--I say 100, you say 10...kinda catchy...maybe that could be played at the 11:00?
What are your thoughts on the last part of the chapter?
Post a Comment