Proverbs 22 - O Dear Children!

Of course, while reading the 22nd Proverb, the two verses that I have memorized (vs. 6 & 15) stand out to me. There are so many beautiful verses that I needed to hear when I read this chapter. However, these two, the two that focus on child-rearing really catch my attention. I suspect it is because this is right where I am in life!
God gave me a desire to more fully understand these verses so I began to pray and search and study more. While the internet at times can be a sad excuse for a research tool, it can also be an unbelievable and amazing source of information. I came across a sight that contains Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary on the Whole Bible! This sight is now a top bookmark of mine and I know I will visit often. Praise God for tools like this that help me know and have a deeper meaning of Scripture. To link to Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible click here. To read a short bio of Matthew Henry click here.

Proverbs 22, verses 6 and 15 are well explained by Henry. So well done that I decided that I would post what he says in his commentary.

6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

"Here is, 1. A great duty enjoined, particularly to those that are the parents and instructors of children, in order to the propagating of wisdom, that it may not die with them: Train up children in that age of vanity, to keep them from the sins and snares of it, in that learning age, to prepare them for what they are designed for. Catechise them; initiate them; keep them under discipline. Train them as soldiers, who are taught to handle their arms, keep rank, and observe the word of command. Train them up, not in the way they would go (the bias of their corrupt hearts would draw them aside), but in the way they should go, the way in which, if you love them, you would have them go. Train up a child according as he is capable (as some take it), with a gentle hand, as nurses feed children, little and often, Deuteronomy 6:7. 2. A good reason for it, taken from the great advantage of this care and pains with children: When they grow up, when they grow old, it is to be hoped, they will not depart from it. Good impressions made upon them then will abide upon them all their days. Ordinarily the vessel retains the savour with which it was first seasoned. Many indeed have departed from the good way in which they were trained up; Solomon himself did so. But early training may be a means of their recovering themselves, as it is supposed Solomon did. At least the parents will have the comfort of having done their duty and used the means."

15 Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

"We have here two very sad considerations:-- 1. That corruption is woven into our nature. Sin is foolishness; it is contrary both to our right reason and to our true interest. It is in the heart; there is an inward inclination to sin, to speak and act foolishly. It is in the heart of children; they bring it into the world with them; it is what they were shapen and conceived in. It is not only found there, but it is bound there; it is annexed to the heart (so some); vicious dispositions cleave closely to the soul, are bound to it as the cion to the stock into which it is grafted, which quite alters the property. There is a knot tied between the soul and sin, a true lover's knot; they two became one flesh. It is true of ourselves, it is true of our children, whom we have begotten in our own likeness. O God! thou knowest this foolishness. 2. That correction is necessary to the cure of it. It will not be got out by fair means and gentle methods; there must be strictness and severity, and that which will cause grief. Children need to be corrected, and kept under discipline, by their parents; and we all need to be corrected by our heavenly Father (Hebrews 12:6,7), and under the correction we must stroke down folly and kiss the rod."

I have always known that we are born with a sinful nature, but I am at the point where I am really seeing it! It is becoming more and more apparent in my child as he throws fits and pushes my buttons. I realize that my calling as a parent is so huge! It is overwhelming really. This journey of parenting HAS to depend on the Lord. He is the only one that is going to help John and I with consistency in training and disciplining him (and our other children). Praise Him for this wonderful yet difficult role!

Lord, I pray that you would become great in our lives and we would become less. Lord, impart your wisdom on us so that we may be the leaders and the parents that you have called us to be. And most of all, that we would give You the glory for the great things You have done!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are so many parallels that can be seen between raising children and our relationship with our heavenly Father. We want our children to obey instantly, without question or debate and yet how often do I do the opposite with my Heavenly Father?! We, as adults, have to continue disciplining ourselves to study the Word, commit it to memory and delight in the Lord. It does not come naturally.