Proverbs 30 ~ Who is...God?

Agur, the author of this collection of proverbs, uses several interesting literary devices in this chapter; but the one that appeals to me most is his use of the rhetorical question.

In verse four he asks,
"Who has gone up to heaven and come down?
Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of His hands?
Who has wrapped up the waters in His cloak?
Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is His name and the name of His Son?"

Well, obviously not us.

After Job has gone through his difficult life, and has been challenged by his friends to curse God and die, God comes to him "out of the storm," tells him to brace himself for some questions, and begins with a crushing, "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?"

Humbling.

God continues for four chapters where He makes point after point, reminding Job that He is Almighty God. Job answers in 42:2, "I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted." Similarly, Agur answers in Proverbs 30:5, "Every word of God is flawless; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him."

I find it exciting to read these chapters in Job and this section in Proverbs 30. Being reminded of God's power, His sovereignty, His perfection, contrasted with my incompleteness, my sinfulness, is heavy, humbling. The lightening, the uplifting of my spirit comes when I realize that this incredible God loves me, chose me to be His, and promises to be my Protector forever. His plans are made, He can be trusted, His word is perfect. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!

chris said...

I've been nauseatingly busy lately, with no end in sight. I was coming in my bedroom to read my Bible "on the run" and stopped to quickly check my email. What you wrote hit me over the head like a ton of bricks and gave my spirit pause. It just helped put things into perspective and remind me of who God is, what He's about and my teeny, tiny part in the whole thing. I feel much better equipped to face the day, with the "big picture" in mind. Thanks Lord. Thanks Susan.