Proverbs 16 ~ Sovereignty = Peace

As I read this chapter, I see 5 different themes interspersed throughout.

1) God plans every one of our steps.

2) Showing love, faithfulness, humility and patience in our relationships pays off.

3) Being wise, honest and pleasant toward the king (any authority) brings favor.

4) Wisdom should guide and guard our mouths; what we say can bring anger or healing.

5) Conniving doesn't actually put is in better stead in our relationships or in position; it is deceptive, separating us from what is actually beneficial.

I am particularly attracted to statements such as are found in verse 4, "The Lord works out everything for His Own ends—even the wicked for a day of disaster," and verse 33, "The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD."


Learning about God's Sovereignty changed my life about 15 years ago. When I came to accept that every part of my life was already determined by God, it lightened my heart. It took away so much self-imposed stress when I realized that the weight of every decision, big and small, is not on my shoulders, but His. I am so thankful that I am taken care of by a God Who has planned every aspect of my life. He has taken away my need to worry.

Dear Lord, Thank You for making us a part of Your family. Being outside of You would be so lonely, so stressful, so hopeless. Thank You that You can be trusted completely. Please give us wisdom so we can exhibit the characteristics that bring good to our relationships and discernment to our decisions. Thank You for guiding our steps. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I needed this Word this morning. Thank you for sharing both your experiences and insights!

Please pray for our son, John, in Basrah, Iraq, as he is battling an intestinal bug and is still unable to tolerate food well, that he will have wisdom in seeking treatment, that the treatment will be effective, and his recovery complete. Thank you all!