I would like to share something that I was reading tonight. The first attribute of God that we are focusing on, brought me to a book that I read (some of) at Covenant: The Sovereignty of God, by Arthur W. Pink. He defines God's sovereignty in the first chapter of his book. His words are so clear. To say out loud that I know that "God is sovereign" is easy to do, but do I really, truly believe this in my heart? Do my words, actions, and thoughts reflect that I truly believe this statement I can say so easily?
God is Sovereign...
"What do we mean by this expression? We mean the supremacy of God, the kingship of God, the godhood of God. To say that God is sovereign is to declare that He is the Most High, doing according to His will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth, so that none can stay His hand or say unto Him what doest Thou? (Dan. 4:35). To say that God is sovereign is to declare that He is the Almighty, the Possessor of all power in heaven and earth, so that none can defeat His counsels, thwart His purpose, or resist His will (Ps. 115:3). To say that God is sovereign is to declare that He is 'The Governor among the nations' (Ps. 22:28), setting up kingdoms, overthrowing empires, and determining the course of dynasties as pleaseth Him best. To say that God is sovereign is to declare that He is the 'Only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords" (1 Tim. 6:15). Such is the God of the Bible."
Lord, help me to understand your sovereignty. Please help me to know you more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's a pretty thorough definition of God's sovereignty. And, yes,I completely agree that it is a different thing altogether to acknowledge His sovereignty in words vs. in one's heart!
You are so right in seeing that there is often a gap between knowing "about" God and knowing God...a gap that only a focus on the cross of Christ and a total dependence on His grace can begin to close. I can easily spout off things about God, but how well does my life reflect a true knowledge of Him?
Post a Comment