"Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him." Psalm 34:8
"You are forgiving and good, O Lord, abounding in love to all who call to you." Psalm 86:5
"You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees." Psalm 119:68
"' Why do you ask me about what is good?' Jesus replied. 'There is only One who is good.'" Matthew 19:17
"'I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.'" John 10:11
"'I am the good shepherd. I know my sheep and my sheep know me - just as the Father knows me and I know the Father - and I lay down my life for the sheep.'" John 10:14-15
Read John 10:1-21
When I think of God being "good", I think of this passage speaking of Him as the good shepherd. This passage exhibits so many ways in which God is good. In this passage, as many of you know, Christians are the sheep.
- The sheep listen to His voice. (v.3) The sheep readily recognize the voice of the shepherd and respond by following him.
- He calls the sheep by name. (v.3) This portrays his individual and intimate knowledge of each of his sheep.
- He leads the sheep. (v.3) If the sheep do not recognize a stranger's voice, they will not follow.
- The sheep follow Him because they know His voice. (v.4)
- He lays down his life for the sheep (v.11) He does not abandon them when the wolves come to attack. He cares so much for each sheep.
Jesus also says he is the "gate for the sheep" (v.7). The only way the sheep can enter the fold for safety is through the gate. The sheep can come in and go out through the gate. They can find the nourishment of a pasture!
God is so good! He knows me by name. He leads me. Only through Him am I saved!
My favorite is verse 10. "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." As the commentary in my Bible words it, "God's ultimate purpose is never to impoverish his own, but to enrich them and extend to them infinite and everlasting blessedness."
What a GOOD Shepherd we have! His unending love, guidance, and sacrifice is so amazing! Praise Him for His goodness! Praise Him for our salvation that only comes through Him!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am with you that it is amazing how God teaches us about how He sees the relationship between Him and us through the story of the shepherd and the sheep. My brothers' goats had 9 new kids 2 weeks ago--they expect about 6 more any day. Watching my brother tend these baby goats reminds me of the sheep. Four of the little goats follow him around right at his feet, while the other five go in totally random directions. He follows them and one by one deposits them inside the safety of the fence. God does this with us. He pursued us from the beginning and has never stopped. Thanks for reminding me about the shepherd.
Post a Comment