Proverbs 30 ~ A Prayer

Proverbs 30:7-9

"Two things I asked of You, do not refuse me before I die:
Keep deception and lies far from me,
Give me neither poverty nor riches;
Feed me with the food that is my portion, That I not be full and deny You and say 'Who is the Lord?' Or that I not be in want and steal, and profane the name of God."

I love this simple two-fold prayer, or request, that the writer of this Proverb makes to God. It is so thorough and insightful. He asks first that the Lord keep deception and lies far from him. Have you ever experienced the quagmire created by lies and deception? Trying to navigate such terrain is exhausting. What wisdom to seek God's protection from these things, and to avoid people and situations where falsehood and deception are the status quo.

Next, the author beseeches the heavenly Father to protect him from the misery of poverty, but also from the snares of riches. This perspective is enlightening. Often, I know I ask to be protected from poverty, but I don't often ask to be protected from too many material blessings!! Yet, isn't it often our blessings (wealth, personal success, etc.) that make us feel self -sufficient and distract us from what should be our first love - Jesus Christ? After studying Lazarus and the Rich Man last night (Luke 16: 19-31), I have even more appreciation for the insight of this prayer.

Lord, please do give me what you deem to be my portion, and let me be fully content with that!

1 comment:

Terry Munz said...

You're right...the key is being content with whatever He gives as our portion. Thanks.