
It is said that this psalm is the most melancholy of all the psalms. It is very personal and the writer agonizes and cries out throughout its entirety, whereas most laments turn to confidence and praise by the end. My bible's commentary mentions that the only glimmer of hope we see in this psalm is that the psalmist prays at all and refers to God as "the God who saves me" (vs. 1).
The psalmist is struggling here. Struggling with the pressures of the spirit and with his own sin. Struggling with the same types of things you and I struggle with. In verse 9 he says, "I spread out my hands to you". This verse gives me a very vivid picture of surrender. Of reaching towards the heavens in effort to give himself fully to God...to surrender to Him. Of admitting that He is the only one worth reaching for, not only in his time of suffering, but always.
Who do I reach for in times of struggle? Nothing else is worth surrendering to but He who is sovereign, omniscient, eternal, immutable, faithful, truthful, good, loving, righteous, & trustworthy. Is He my all in all?
Lord, thank you for being faithful even though I am so faithless.
1 comment:
Yes, sometimes all we can do is cry out to Him. I like the picture you put with the text - it captures the essence very well!
Post a Comment