Quick Summary:
This Psalm is full of faith and hope in the Lord. David is having a tough time as evident in v. 1 when David laments "I am poor and needy." But despite tough times, he places his faith squarely in the Lord as he states "In the day of my trouble I will call to you, for you will answer me." (v 7) David desires God to be glorified. In verses 8-10 it is like David is chanting "Go God! Show what you can do!" David's request is not for selfish gain, but in verse 11-12 he asks God to teach him (David) God's way and give him an undivided heart so that he may fear God and glorify His name forever. Then, in the closing verse (v 17), David asks for a sign of God's goodness.
My Take:
A couple of things really stood out to me about this prayer of David. First, David sounds as though he "feels" close to God at this point in time. I'm not sure what exactly makes us feel particularly close to God at one time and less close other times, but I'm glad to know that 's feelings of closeness ebbed and flowed like ours do.I also was struck by David's childlike honesty as he prays, particularly in verse 4 when he asks God to bring him joy, and verse 17 when he asks for a sign of God's goodness. God desires childlike hearts and heartfelt prayer.
Sometimes I feel a need to be "spiritual" in my prayers and not ask God for what I really desire or tell Him what I really think. I know that doesn't make sense because God knows my heart, but I do it anyway. The result is that I am not fully honest with God and a wedge is driven in my relationship with Him. David's prayer here in Psalm 86 was a great reminder for me that God wants to hear from us - He wants to hear our hearts. Perhaps this transparency is the very thing that brings us full circle in helping us "feel" close to God. What do you think?
3 comments:
I agree and I am appalled when I see just how wicked and deceitful my heart really is. All the more reason to pray honestly and ask as David does that the Lord teach us His way, help us walk in His truth, and that He give us undivided hearts - hearts united with His. Oh,to be One with Him... to be able to praise Him with all our hearts and glorify His Name forever!
I agree and I am appalled when I see just how wicked and deceitful my heart really is. All the more reason to pray honestly and ask as David does that the Lord teach us His way, help us walk in His truth, and that He give us undivided hearts - hearts united with His. Oh,to be One with Him... to be able to praise Him with all our hearts and glorify His Name forever!
Chris, I love your heart that wants to be real before God! I pray that God will give me have that same heart!
Post a Comment