Psalm 79

"Oh no, not another imprecatory Psalm!!" I must confess that was my thought when I started looking into Psalm 79 a couple of days ago. This study of Psalms has certainly been different than what I expected. It has required a LOT more "study" for me than I ever thought it would. A couple of months ago, I had never heard the word "imprecatory" - now, I actually know what it means. In the past I've "parked" in my favorite Psalms reading them and meditating on them over and over. As a result, over the years, I have missed the full context and range of the Psalms. Now, by participating in this study, I have learned who all the writers are, how the chapters are arranged, the various types of Psalms and, of course, a workable definition of "Selah" (i.e., pause and calmly think of this).

I read and reflected on Psalm 79 quite a lot. I looked at several commentaries and have come to the conclusion that the ultimate theme of this chapter is the essentiality of prayer. The first five verses of the Psalm focus on the deplorable condition of the people of God and the last eight are a petition for relief. Prayer is the only thing I can think of powerful enough to address both issues.

I live in a pretty insulated environment. I go to church a lot, my kids attend Christian school and I work at a Christian ministry. Sure, none of these institutions/organizations is perfect, but each one is made up of people earnestly seeking the Lord. Thus, I do not often encounter ill willed people and seldom (if ever) come face to face with outright evil. Yet I know evil exists (and even abounds). An unfortunate click on a web link instantly reminded me of this a couple of weeks ago.

What is our response to evil? To be honest, in my heart of hearts I often think "well that stinks, but as long as it doesn't affect me or my family...". That is so lame. We must be a praying people. I must be a praying person. Not just for my family and those I love, but for everything in this world that has yet to be touched by God's truth and love. And there are so many opportunities to pray: in the car, when waiting for the computer to warm up, when in line at the grocery store.

Lord, remind me that we are in a spiritual battle every day and our greatest weapon is prayer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on. Thanks for the reminders (many) in your post, cp, and the down to earth way of expressing yourself.

Terry Munz said...

Your constant pointing me to the urgency of prayer is needed.