Psalm 61

I had to tell Jesse this week that a friend of his and Coulter's had died.  
It is not the first friend he has lost.  
Most of the other friends of Jesse's that have died, did so from complications related to their disability.  
This friend was not disabled.  
His death was not from an illness.  
He was 17.  
Jesse's question was "Why?"  
Hear my cry, O God.
Attend to my prayer. 
From the end of the earth I will cry to You, 
when my heart is overwhelmed;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
We went together to the viewing.  It was packed.  Many friends we have not seen for awhile were there.  There were many teenagers from school (and teachers and staff) present.  Their grief and shock were written on their faces as they viewed their friend's body and watched the slides of the pictures from his life. 
For You have been a shelter for me,
A strong tower from the enemy.
I will abide in Your tabernacle forever;
I will trust in the shelter of Your wings.  Selah.
Many of us remembered him from when he was a little boy--active, energetic, sharp as they come.  We saw him grow into a fun loving, kind young man.  On my "How Does He Treat Jesse" character yardstick, he always passed with flying colors.  He was one of Coulter's friends that Jesse thought of as his friend too.  
For You, O God, have heard my vows;
You have given me the heritage of those who fear Your name.
You will prolong the king's life.
His years as many generations.
God knows hearts.  He knows His children.  He promises us that this life/this painful time will end but it is not The End.  He promises us eternity with Himself.
He shall abide before God forever.
Oh, prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him!
What do you do when you are dealing with hurts?  How do you handle the death of your child or someone you love dearly?  David tells us that He asks God to "Lead me to the rock that is higher than I."   David promises to "trust in the shelter of Your wings."
So I will sing praise to Your name forever.
That I may daily perform my vows.

2 comments:

Nanascout said...

Powerful...thank you for sharing.

chris said...

Yes, thanks for sharing.