November 21- It is Finished

Opening "My Utmost" to today's date, I saw a note I had written on 11/21/06 that reads "I don't really understand (today's reading)". I began reading O.C.'s entry with optimism, believing that, in the last two years, surely I had grown in spritual maturity and now would be able to bring great wisdom and insight to this passage. Alas, it is not to be.

His main point seems to be that Christ's motivation for dying on the cross was not love for us, but hatred of sin and obedience to God's decree. I understand what he is saying, but remain confused about the implications, specifically when I consider John 3:16-21. Is O.C. just emphasizing one of two "sides of the same coin", or is this perspective a totally different paradigm in which we should view Christ's death?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is two sides of the same coin. The only problem is if we emphasize the Love over the Holiness and have a distortion of the Character/Purposes of God and of Jesus. I have been guilty of emphasizing His love over His holiness to the point that it could be misconstrued as sympathy, as O.C. so aptly states.