Ok, I admit it. I'm a control freak. Pastor John mentioned my kind a couple of weeks ago in a sermon. I was outted. Well, actually we control freaks out ourselves by our sharp comments and quick temper.
As I read the story by the author of his interaction with his son, it might as well have been my name and my children. And the garbage story, well that one actually HAS happened in my home. Forgetting how I dealt with those, what does God say?
God says that we are dead in our sins from the moment of conception (Psalm 51:5). God says that the only way to have life is through His Son (John 14:6). God says that doing things my way will lead to disappointment, frustration and a continuing, unquenched thirst (too many to list!). God says that He desires to make us like His Son, to live through us so that others will see Him, not us.
"At the center of self-will is me, carving a world in my image. At the center of prayer is God, carving me in His Son's image. "
And so, if we want real change, in ourselves or in the people we're with, we must expect it to come from God. Oh, sure, we can manipulate certain people and situations, but the result is temporary and is likely to be full of anger or emptiness. Lasting change--heart change--comes from God changing our hearts.
And so--prayer. Less of me, more of Him.
less of me and MORE OF HIM.
Him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment